Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Someone Else Has Been Here Before

Or, in other words, ayn kol chodosh tachas hashemesh.

Homeschooling may seem like a new and somewhat trailblazing idea, but really, it is not.  People have been teaching their children at home for millennia, but in recent history, it has become quite popular in the last 30 years or so.  However,  Jewish and religious homeschooling is definitely a very recent phenomenon.  We are treading upon a well-worn path, but we must walk together.   It is hard enough having ample time in your day to feel that you have done justice to your children's learning, but to also have to defend one's choices is plain exhausting.  When we stand together in our growing numbers, eventually it will have to be noticed.  Traditional society doesn't like, for the most part, anyone who is non-conformist, who disagrees and takes a different path.   There truly is strength in numbers and is a wonderful lesson for us.  Just as we must unite in our homeschooling experiences, we must unite as a greater people.  For the same reason that "normal" society seems to feel threatened by our existence and philosophies, this is the reason that we have to all work together. 
To quote Alexandre Dumas, "All for one and one for all."  Or Abraham Lincoln, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."  There is wisdom here from which anyone can gain.  Whether we are discussing families, the homeschooling community, our greater communities in which we reside, or our people as a whole, unity is of supreme importance.  For some reason, when you are in the minority, the reaction seems to be to stick together against the majority.  I wonder if it is possible to build bridges between the two through mutual respect and understanding.  Would this take hard work and much humility on both sides?  Yes.  Definitely.  We must learn from history, both from our successes and our mistakes.  Others have been here before us and have left a trail to help us upon our journey.  We would be foolish to ignore it.

2 comments:

  1. I have homeschooled for many years now. We are the only religious Jewish homeschoolers around - and there is only one other Jewish homeschooler in the area. Even though we have been on local homeschool lists, it was only the last 2 years that I have found I have been on a list that I can relate too.

    I changed curriculum 2 years ago and have joined the curriculum's email list. Over the last 2 years I have finally found a group of people who match me, how I think, etc. It has been amazing how much I have learned, the advice given - not necessarily to me, but to others who have the same questions and concerns and have asked for advice. I have benefited greatly from these discussions. I have even been able to help others. As I am finishing preparations for next year, I feel so much more confident and comfortable than I have in the past, thanks to finally connecting to a group that I feel I can be a part of.

    So yes, I agree with you 100% - we need to stick together and help each other out. And yes, homeschool is not a new concept or idea, you actually see it if we go all the way back to the Torah. When my boys were younger, my oldest always wanted to go to school. As the mother, I understood things he did (and still does) not understand. I love him and know that I need to do what is best for our family, and we have decided that homeschooling is the best.

    To appease him, I would look for ways to help make him proud and special to be homeschooled. I bought each of them a shirt that says, "I am homeschooled and so were...." and it lists about 30 or 40 other famous people in the world. Another thing I did was use the Torah. There are many people in the Torah that were homeschooled - Yitzchok taught his two sons at home until they were 13, for example, and Yaakov taught all his sons as well! Everytime we came across someone who was homeschool in our Torah learning, I would bring it up and make a big deal about it. Between this and other things we have done, I think my son is now very comfortable.

    No matter who we are or what we do, we are all people who need support of others, that is how Hashem created us. We need people to help give us advice and we need others to share in our happiness. The same goes for homeschooling. Homeschool is not new, not even for those of us who are Jewish and religious, but it is a lost art that is being revived. :D

    Rivkah H.
    http://blog.atorahlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rivkah,

      I wanted to begin by saying that my boys always have a wonderful time speaking with your children. Generally, I try to stay close by to monitor and make sure that things do not get too, um, energetic.
      Thank you for your eloquent and heartfelt response. The t-shirt sounds like a wonderful idea and it certainly creates a feeling of solidarity with other homeschoolers, regardless of location. You are certainly correct in stating that humans require interaction and, further, emotional and moral support by like-minded individuals.
      I always enjoy reading both your and your husband's responses on our shared group and am very happy that we can all uplift each other in our mutual pursuits of Torah, family, and homeschooling.
      Have a wonderful Shabbos!

      Delete